Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Pagatronix forum!

The forum is no longer in use, but if you're interested in what some idiots wrote some years ago, go for it.

TOPIC: RIP JB

RIP JB 31 Jan 2011 16:03 #1413

• Foxy Jim`ll
  • Platinum Boarder

Very saddened to hear of John Barry's passing.

Think there was some discussion of his work on the Quantum of Solace thread yonks ago but thought this merited its own space.

So many classic movie (and TV) soundtracks - where do you start? I don't think I could nominate a favourite.

I was pleased that Mark Radcliffe played the theme to The Persuaders in tribute tonight. A majestic bit of music, albeit wholly inappropriate for the 70s playboys TV show that followed.

If you haven't heard them it's worth giving a listen to his theme from the TV series Vendetta, and also the Danny Scipio theme from the same show. I've never even seen a photo from the show but am sure that it couldn't live up to these amazing bits of music.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: RIP JB 02 Feb 2011 14:47 #1416

• Papa Fraud
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6

Respek. I'll check out the Vendetta thing. The Persuaders theme is excellent, but sadly not on here. It set me thinking - can you think of other instances where the theme was better than the program. Or to be more precise, where the theme was great and better than the program?

Sorry!

Butterflies

Are You Being Served?

Space 1999

Miami Vice

The Money Programme
Don't you know that racism amongst future kings can only lead to no good?

Re: RIP JB 02 Feb 2011 18:34 #1417

• The Shadow
  • Gold Boarder
  • What?

can you think of other instances where the theme was great and better than the program?

Various series of Doctor Who - although I wish they'd stop f*cking about with the theme tune. The Delia Derbyshire/classic version is possible the greatest and most evocative theme tune to a TV series ever.

News Review. Do you remember that? It used to be on Sunday nights on BBC2 - had a fantastic stomping bit of music - apparently called Roadwalk.

UFO

Give me a while to think. I probably won't be able to sleep now.
The Shadow knows

Re: RIP JB 05 Feb 2011 05:52 #1422

• Papa Fraud
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6

Very saddened to hear of John Barry's passing.

From Radio 4 here, about 22m 44s in...
Don't you know that racism amongst future kings can only lead to no good?

Re: RIP JB 05 Feb 2011 10:03 #1423

• Foxy Jim`ll
  • Platinum Boarder

Thanks Paps, would have missed that otherwise. The Radio 4 Front Row tribute from Don Black is here (which also has an interview with the Coen brothers about True Grit)

Re: RIP JB 05 Feb 2011 10:15 #1424

• Foxy Jim`ll
  • Platinum Boarder

The Persuaders theme is excellent, but sadly not on here

I remember buying an expensive import CD to get the theme years ago, and then about six months later it came out here on "Cult Fiction Royale", which is possibly the best theme tune compilation album ever. It's got some great stuff on there, including the awesome Dirty Harry Theme - a piece of music so exciting that it makes my face twitch when I listen to it at high volume.

can you think of other instances where the theme was ... great and better than the program?

I'm finding this trickier than I thought. There's a bunch of theme tunes where the programme probably seems dated now but the theme stands up - or kids shows where as an adult they seem crap now. Or just shows I don't remember when I do remember the theme ...

Magpie?

I've always been partial to the theme from Are You Being Served.

Educational kids TV show My World - a theme tune so lovely it makes me well up. The Go! Team reused it on one of their songs.
Time to create page: 0.472 seconds