Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Pagatronix forum!

The forum is no longer in use, but if you're interested in what some idiots wrote some years ago, go for it.

TOPIC: The Office: An American workplace.

The Office: An American workplace. 24 Jan 2008 17:03 #252

• Papa Fraud
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6

i saw the first couple of these and they seemed a poor relation of the uk original.

paramount are currently showing season 2 of the us version of the office. i started watching it, and was pleasantly surprised.

as the season begins, steve carell doesn't seem right for the character he plays (michael scott). he seems too nice, too geeky, too stupid. as the season progresses though, it really improves. he really begins to get that brent-style nasty / embarrasing / sleazy aspect of the character. the rest of the cast are great as well. there's a character called creed bratton who is brilliant. i think i may like it more than the uk version. i also like the way that scott gradually reveals insights into his character over the course of the programs.

try and catch it if you can. the clip below is from the third season. one of the employees is discovered to be an ex-con. he tells the others about his time in prison, and the facilities there, and someone points out that it sounds better than where they work. scott doesn't take kindly to that, and sets about correcting their perception, through the magic of role-play.

Don't you know that racism amongst future kings can only lead to no good?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Office: An American workplace. 27 Jan 2008 19:25 #261

• Foxy Jim`ll
  • Platinum Boarder

I think I watched most of the first season when it was on BBC3 (?) but similarly didn't really get into it. The 'Brent' equivalent character just didn't have that unique balance of ego/trying-too-hard-to-be-liked/thinks-he's-cool/show-off/idiot - he was more one dimensional, more just a tactless idiot.

I've heard stuff that backs up what you say - that the American version's improved in the successive seasons - so would like to watch it. Unfortunately it's too awkward to catch it for me unless it gets picked up by a terrestrial channel (which isn't very likely now I guess). Still I'll keep an eye out for it - thanks for the tip.

Re: The Office: An American workplace. 30 Jan 2008 15:38 #263

• Papa Fraud
  • Administrator

just received this:

<div style="padding-right: 10px; padding-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 25px; padding-bottom: 10px; padding-top: 10px; background-color: #f33"]
<h1 style="margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; color: #fff"]youtube | broadcast yourself™[/h1]
<div style="padding-right: 25px; margin-top: 10px; padding-left: 25px; margin-bottom: 10px"]

dear member:

this is to notify you that your video prison mike has been identified because you may not have the necessary permission to make it available on youtube. the material identified in your video, the person claiming ownership of the material and the policy they have designated for its use on youtube are detailed below.

<table class="" border=1>
<thead>
<tr>
<th class="" scope=col>material</th>
<th class="" scope=col>copyright holder</th>
<th class="" scope=col>policy</th>
<th class="" scope=col>countries</th></tr></thead>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td class=""]video from </td>
<td class=""]nbc universal </td>
<td class=""]block </td>
<td class=""]united states </td></tr></tbody></table>

to learn about your options and to resolve this issue, please visit the copyright notice page in your account. failure to take action may result in the removal of your video from youtube.

sincerely,
youtube, inc.

so, don't bother watching the office. it's f u c k i n g s h i t. happy now, nbc?

Re: The Office: An American workplace. 03 Feb 2008 19:38 #278

• The Shadow
  • Gold Boarder
  • What?

(Incidentally the ads on this page are hilarious now - I hope they don't change but in case they do - I love the fact they are currently advertising "Office space in Brent". Spectacularly perceptive.)

NBC seem to be pretty zealous in policing content from their progs on You-Tube - witness the lack of SNL/Christopher Walken/Han Solo clip. It used to be all over the place but not any more. I can understand them not wanting entire programmes available but I think that brief clips of programmes create more interest and can encourage viewers and/or DVD sales.
The Shadow knows

Re: The Office: An American workplace. 14 Jun 2010 18:55 #1256

• Papa Fraud
  • Administrator

they've done it again:

– the youtube team

it's so weird - the trading places clip was posted before the office, clip, so it's been up a good two years. as you say above, it seems ridiculous to me. are paramount going to make any more money from trading places? is my clip going to encourage or discourage people from maybe buying or renting the movie? ah well, let's not dwell on the logic and good sense of media companies protecting their intellectual property on the internet.

Re: The Office: An American workplace. 15 Jun 2010 14:10 #1260

• Foxy Jim`ll
  • Platinum Boarder

who's going to not buy there own copy on the basis that they can see clarence beeks free online? now if it was that jamie lee curtis scene, i think they'd have a legitimate complaint.

people complain about george lucas for various reasons, but you've got to give him credit for allowing all the homages/spoofs/mash-ups etc of his original material. respect to the beardy, check-shirted multi-millionaire.
Time to create page: 0.674 seconds